There is this great book from the mid 1900s by Robert Collier, a prolific author, called The Secret of the Ages. It is full of simple and still valid recommendations for our life and times. A public domain copy of this book can be found HERE. This book’s content was also used in the movie, The Secret. Robert Louis Stevenson used advice from this book and coined the term “Mental Brownies“.
The Secret of the Ages is about how the subconscious mind carries out all the best things which are given to it providing the conscious mind does not intercept and change the course of its manifestation. Collier tells us that if we let fear, worry, thoughts of poverty and limitation dwell in our mind, they will be our constant companion day and night.
Staying true to Collier’s words and recommendations, I will quote them verbatim. There are three necessary steps he provides for working with your subconscious:
- To realize that you have the power
- To know what you want
- To center your thought upon it with singleness of purpose
He also provides recommendations that we, “. . . go to a quiet room or place, twice a day, lie down and relax every muscle, assume complete indifference to those things which worry us and functions of the body, and quietly accept what God, through this law of demand and supply can give.” I’m sure you all recognize this as MEDITATION (my favorite subject and my #1 step to self-transformation).
Collier also suggests that there are four things he believes are required to make peace with our subconscious and prep it for success. They are:
- The mental image of what you want; that is the mold.
- Knowledge of your power so you can consciously draw to you all the Vital Force you need – breathe it in – and then pour it into your mental mold.
- Faith in your creative power, faith to crystallize the Vital Force in your mold, until it is manifest for all to see.
- Doing something to convince your subconscious mind – and through it, the super-conscious – that you do believe you HAVE received. (As an example – a woman who prayed for a house got a board and nail and kept them before her, affirming that they were the beginning of the house.)
THE MIND RULES THE WORLD
Robert Louis Stevenson had a dream that helped him create a scene for Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. He called this power of his subconscious mind, Mental Brownies. Stevenson says, “My brownies, God bless them – who do one-half of my work for me when I am fast asleep, and in all human likelihood do the rest for me as well when I am wide awake and foolishly suppose that I do it myself.”
- To get desired results, get as clear an idea of what you really want, a mental image of the question you wish answered.
- Kindly and firmly, use the mental command: “Attend to this for me – work out the answer!”
- Then forget all about the matter.
- If you wish, you may give your Mental Brownies orders to report at such and such a time.
Now, go prepare those Mental Brownies and let me know what recipe you cook up. See tomorrow!
(This author shall not be held liable for any loss or other damages, including but not limited to incidental, consequential, or other damages. This author makes no claims for any medical benefits of this program. The advice of a competent medical professional should always be sought in the case of health matters. Copyright in this document belongs to this author.)